SGP DRIVING SCHOOL - Shaun Pillay sole proprietor and representative
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
These Terms and Conditions are an important part of your driving tuition. Please ensure you read and understand them.
1. Training: Driver training is only available to persons who meet the following criteria:
a) Aged 17 or over
b) Hold a current and valid UK provisional driving licence
c) Legally entitled to drive in the UK
2. Any changes to your driving licence due to medical conditions or driving convictions must be communicated to me immediately. Beware of prescription medication that causes drowsiness and could impair your judgement (NB: read the small print) Please ensure that you present yourself in suitable clothing, particularly practical footwear. It is also important to attend lessons with any appropriate glasses or contact lenses for reasons of road safety. If I think you are unfit to drive for failing to meet any of these conditions, the lesson will be cancelled at your expense. I cannot accept responsibility for any injury, loss or damage arising from a driving lesson.
3. Payment: Fees should be paid before lessons are conducted. Payment may be made online prior to your lesson or paid in cash or cheque to the instructor. Cheque payments may require a waiting period for funds to clear and lessons may be withheld until funds are cleared and available. In the event of cheques being returned you are responsible for any administration fees. Fees are subject to change and you will be notified by email or text in advance.
4. Cancellation: 48 hours (2 days) notice is required to cancel any driving lesson. If less than 2 days notice is given, half the lesson fee will be charged. If less than 24 hrs (1 day) notice is given, the full lesson fee will be charged. If you suspend your driving lessons within a block of pre paid lessons for a period of 12 weeks or more, then any remaining lessons will be forfeited.
I cannot be held responsible for any mechanical or electrical failure which may cause the prevention or termination of a lesson or driving test. If the weather is too severe to take a lesson another time and day will be arranged for you according to your availability. The decision will be made considering your availability and any advice given by motoring organisations. If you decide to cancel at short notice due to weather, and the conditions are suitable to drive, the lesson fee will be charged.
5. Lessons: Your driving lesson will be on a one to one basis. If you would like a parent or friend to come along on your lesson, that can be arranged. You will always receive the full lesson time you have paid for. I will be happy to start and finish your lesson from different locations, providing these are agreed at least one week in advance, and that both are within the usual area of my work.
6. Penalties: Whenever you are driving in the school vehicle, you will be under close supervision. However, SGP Driving School cannot be held responsible for any infringement of the law. Any fines that are incurred will be the responsibility of the driver.
7. Practical tests: I will make every effort to help you reach a good standard of driving that will enable you to pass your driving test, and you must try to maintain regular lessons leading up to your test. Failure to do so may lead to your test date having to be moved back to give you more time to prepare. The only way to pass the driving test is to be properly prepared. In the interest of road safety I reserve the right to withdraw the use of my car for tests without prior notice should you prove to be unsafe and not up to test standard. Any outstanding fees MUST be paid before your test is taken, the instructor reserves the right to withhold his vehicle before test until payment is settled in FULL, this may result in loss of test fees paid to the DVSA and waiting months before another test becomes available.
8. DVSA Test Cancellation: At times the DVSA cancels tests upon arrival due to examiners being ill, previous tests running late due to traffic, congestion or various other unforeseen circumstances. Should this occur, you will be charged for the duration of your lesson in preparation and will need to make a claim for your costs to be refunded to you by the DVSA. This can be done online by copying the link and pasting in your web browser clicking on the relevant form and filling in the details:
9. Short notice test: A short notice test is when there is two weeks or less from the date of the first planned lesson to the date of your booked test. A short notice test package consists of 5 hours of instructor tuition time as a minimum. This includes a 2-hour driving assessment and a further 3 hours before the day of your driving test. As a minimum, you will need to pay for 5 hours of tuition before any lessons can be booked. During the initial 2-hour assessment lesson your driving standard will be evaluated by your instructor. If after the 2-hour assessment lesson the instructor tells you that you are not ready for the test, the instructor is under no obligation to take you to the test. Your instructor will advise you of the next steps needed to become test ready.
10. The Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency stipulate that you need to give three clear working days to cancel or re-schedule your test. This means that you may lose your Driving Standards Agency test fee if your instructor says that you are not ready for the test after the initial 2-hour assessment lesson. In these circumstances your instructor is not liable for the cost of any lost driving test fee. If you decide to reschedule your test to a later date, you can use the unused pre-paid hour(s) for further tuition toward the new test date.
11. Damage to the School Car: During lessons, I will make every effort to avoid damage to the car. However, if I consider that you were driving in a dangerous or unpredictable way during a lesson and actual damage is caused despite best efforts made, you will be expected to pay half towards repairs (up to the level of excess on the insurance policy). This will be discussed at the time of the damage. In addition, during driving tests, the examiner will not prevent you, the candidate from hitting the kerb or causing other similar minor damage to the car. Therefore, all damage caused by you whilst on test will be charged to you (up to the level of excess on the instructor’s insurance policy).
12. Punctuality: I will contact you if I am going to be more than 5 minutes late for your driving lesson. The time lost will be added to the end of the lesson if possible, or added to another lesson at a later date. If YOU are late for your lesson, then that time will be lost.
13. Communications: To ensure that communication channels are in place, please ensure that the instructor is aware of your current mobile or landline numbers and address.
14. Holidays and Availability: SGP Driving will give you notice of holidays and of any days they are unavailable in advance. Please ensure that you do too.
It is your duty to book your first lesson after your holiday or break in tuition if that had not already been arranged prior to departure. This is to help you retain your place in the diary and maintain your progress.
15. Code of Practice: I will abide by the Voluntary Code of Practice which has been agreed between DVSA and the main bodies representing Approved Driving Instructors.
16. Complaints by clients should be made in the first instance to SGP Driving School. You may lodge a complaint via email at [email protected]. Failing to reach an agreement or settlement of a dispute, reference may be made to DVSA’s Registrar of Approved Driving Instructors who will consider the matter and advise accordingly. Should the Registrar not be able to settle the dispute he or she may set up a panel, with representatives from the ADI industry, to consider the matter further or advise that the matter should be referred to the courts or other statutory body to be determined.
By taking driving lessons with SGP Driving School it is accepted that you have read and agree to these terms and conditions.